I'm a stay at home mum, I love to bake and sew, getting out with by daughter and creator of the childrens clothing label My Little I Designs

Sunday 9 March 2014

It's Party Time!

Wether I like it or not, miss Isla is turning one in a month. I do not understand where the last 5 or so months have gone! To me she is still about 6 months old, until I see an actual baby and I think "oh yeah, THAT's a baby".

I am truly excited by the prospect of Isla's first birthday party. We are on one income, so we are a little more humble than what my "Party Ideas" Pinterest board may lead people to believe, but nonetheless I think it is important to celebrate her first birthday with a party surrounded by family and friends. Yes she won't remember it, but that doesn't matter, what matters is that we celebrated her. I'm sure she won't remember all her fabulous headbands either but that doesn't stop me.

March/April is my Silly Season. For obvious reasons all the babies from my Mother's Group are also having birthdays so the invites have come in thick and fast for 1st birthday parties from all her little friends. We have at least 1 every weekend for the month of March, some weekends we have 2!

We commenced the party scene last Saturday with a BANG! A Teepee themed boys birthday styled by the incredible Hayley from A Day With Polly. The area was decorated in gorgeous orange, aqua and brown tones, using beautiful fabric garlands, cushions and throws not to mention the centrepiece; that fabulous teepee. It was a great morning, each of the kiddies got feather headbands to wear, and gorgeous favour bags adorned with paper feathers in the same colours. Super cute!



I left feeling totally inspired and a little anxious... A cloud of realisation has come over me and settled squarely on my shoulders. A first birthday is a BIG deal! It will be used to gauge how "together" I have things. Heck, people can gauge ME as a mum based on this party. I feel like I've stepped into a mash up of the My Kitchen Rules Instant Restaurant rounds & Toddlers and Tiaras. My mind starts racing; I need to get the cake made by a professional - the AWW kids cakes cookbook isn't gonna cut it. I need incredible decorations, party favours,  elephant rides, fire breathing dragons, and every Disney Princess you can name at my party. My daughter's party must be the best! 

As all these thoughts race around my head I get the all too familiar "ding... ding... DING..." of the bank balance push through it all and I'm dragged back to reality. My husband and I are both relatively handy so we've got the creative juices flowing and are going the DIY path. There's plenty we can do ourselves, which will make it unique and special to us. I'm even surprising myself!

We will still have a beautiful day without the elephants, I suppose...

No comments:

Post a Comment